Monday 6 May 2013

My code has bad smell


I've had a nice bank holiday here on the island. Sun was shining like fever and tourists were spreading like a virus. It was a perfect day for an NFS rage and some articles.

I've got a request on StatDiary couple of weeks ago - it was about data ranges. At the beginning I defined zero an initial minimum for all charts - it means zero is always included. That can be inconvenient if you work with data in a small range far from zero. In that case the differences became negligible. I changed a little bit on the chart generation and made the zero-inclusive range an extra for the char types where seeing 0 makes sense. Basically it's the ones that touch the bottom: bars and area.
At the same time I noticed some flaws in the structure of the chart class system. Maybe that should be my weekly task to fix it. We'll see.

Yesterday we've talked about the Google glass with Kinga. I was surprised she even fancy with the glass. Anyways. She had a great idea for an augmented app. I just realized it wouldn't be nice to share without her permission. So let it be an augmented app. I like the idea of decorating the environment. Actually there was an MIT concept video using that technology already. It was an iPad using its camera - and they applied different augmented user interfaces on real world objects. I guess that could be the thing for the glass. I don't really care about weather, video or photos. Reading emails or texts without a keyboard is quite risky anyways. However it could be the best tool to help us navigating in our world.

Also I'm thinking about new control experiences. Like in the quantified self community the data input is a crucial and cumbersome part of the process - yet the most essential component. So one thing is shaking. Shaking could be an easy way to tell the device to do something. And with shake you could apply patterns. Like morse codes. I know it may look like as your touching yourself when you do this in your pocket, but hey, technology first.
But then what to do with the glass? Who remembers of the Ted (I think it was Ted) presentation when they presented the machine that worked through brain waves. There was this helmet thingie you put on your head and first taught the machine to several well distinguishable brain signals. Then by triggering the same signals you could control something else. If the glass could use the same technology it would be super seamless.

---

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.