Thursday 16 May 2013

Hackers and news


One thing I've realized my cognitive overload is so low I don't even know how I survive these days. If you're not familiar with the concept, it's the constant bugging things that usually not necessary to keep you busy. Well, especially not if you're introverted.


People tend to carry a lot of cognitive load all the time. A lot of that comes from the fact that people like to live versatile. I eat the same thing for half a year. Wear the same cloth combination for months. Going on the same path each time. It's like a pre-planned life. What many haven't realized is that releasing your cognitive load gives you quite some extra quality time. Partially it's the methodology behind GTD. The only problem is when I realize I don't have my Saturday pancake and literally panicking for half a day. Breaking the boring line is dangerous.

Boring stuff, yeah. So it was HackerNews meetup day. Boy, it was so good. Nice venue, old classy boy school, lot's of hairy developers and beer. There was this guy talking about their small tech stack they created in three hours to represent cards. They used Backbone, Hammer, AWS and some similar things. Honestly I love little things, it perfectly feeds my 80-hunger (20-80 rule). What I'd like to know how these can be consumed properly. I mean the point of 80 is clearly to add a very unique information when you need it. It's like the little book on your shelf where you know there is a nice recipe. However some of them are meant to be used many times - only short bursts, but still. Homes tend to stock up the typical 80 book - the ones that they read 1 time or less. You don't want to waste your space, but a tedious future lookup also far from optimal. I know, keeping an app icon on your device takes nothing - but not really. Hundreds of them actually quite annoying. I've fallen into that issue already.

Then a guy explained his native css framework, which I was really amazed how it is possible. I might give it a go, even I don't have any iOS idea in mind. I'm really curious to see the backend.

There was a presentation about 3D printing with some theoretical thoughts added. Not sure if I mentioned, but at the mall (left from the 70's) there is a 3D copier shop. From 10 to 40 quids you can create small gifts, figures or anything really. Pretty awesome.

Then the main pres was a guy from Memrise. Not sure how they are doing it but the actual performance worth every penny. Apart from that we could here some really interesting ideas about memorizing things, and it wasn't the usual bs list. Epic moment was when he explained: "I don't always code, but when I do, I code in Lisp". No comments.

---

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.