Friday 13 February 2009

I'm back to sum up the last three weeks

Hi,

Long time no see. First, I'm happy that now I'm working on Pronovix. My new colleagues are awesome. They are really lifehackers:) This company works with Drupal and made several cool stuffs. Until a month ago I'd never participated in any Drupal project. When I began learning from Pro Drupal Development I felt myself strong and energetic and agile. But when I got my first mission, it changed a little bit:) Thinking in a Drupal way is REALLY hard at the first time. You know. Everybody can make a full fledged Ajax site with a strong PHP back-end. But when your hands are tight, it could be a huge pain. And the point. In English. Yeah. That's cool. But I love challenges. Learning is fun. Drupal fun. English fun. Working fun. Thats I guess equal to FUN^4. Not bad.
The other interesting happenings was the installing war. God knows how many times I sad malicious words. Anyway. Its all because my old Asus laptop. There are 4 types of Linux distributions:
1 - not well supported, pain (60%)
2 - deprecated kernel, softwares (10%)
3 - cant detect properly my SiS videocard (10%)
4 - cant detect my Broadcom wifi card (20%)
I know. Every geek is saying that you can always configure your unix based distro. Yes. But I can't. My favorite screenplay:
1 - I need network access
2 - To enable the network I had to fire up my wifi
3 - To fire up my wifi i had to download the firmwares and stuffs from the network
Yes, thats recursive. Maybe some parts of my brain still on running. That cause me a big headache. But I couldn't have a rest because on windows the web development really slow. I tried the follow distros:
Ubuntu (4 version), Mint, SuSE, Debian, Arch, PCLinuxOS, Fedora, Slackware, FreeBSD, PcBSD.
But 2 days ago miracle happened. Just browsed www.distrowatch.com and stumbled upon of Mepis Linux. I've never heard about it. But found quite a lot update, so thought it worth a try. And then ... First it asked me what resolution I want during installation. WOW! Kick ass. Next, it discovered my wifi card and made enable networking. Crazy. Then it can connected to the Debian Lenny repository, so really up to date. Thanks God it uses KDE 3.5.10. Only one defect it has, cant render monochrome fonts. But the default way isn't so bad. I can handle it.
So, I suggest you trying it. At least once. Oh, I forgot the candy:) My webcam is working under Mepis. (Even XP is incapable to do this.) Run and download - http://www.mepis.org/
Last I want to share with you, I found a very delicious gummy candy:) And If I mentioned delicious, I registered on http://delicious.com/. I don't know why I did't take that before. To be honest, I feel shame. You know my bookmarking site idea in my former post. You can follow me there: http://delicious.com/itarato
And one thing at the end. I watched anime. This is a huge step to me. And I get used to drinking coffee in the weekends. Maybe once I'll become to a real geek:)
So. I'm hungry thus this post is over. I hope I could give you at least a small information (use Mepis).
Tomorrow I plan writing a blogpost about 'Top 10 thing which makes you more productive'. Because I'm always striving to be the most productive I can. Now is really bad.
And I wrote a small article about unit/functional testing (Selenium, PHPUnit...), but I need a little time to correct it. Maybe on Sunday.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.